Friday, December 2, 2011

Taste testing, testing, one, two, three

So it's been a while since my last posting. As some of you may know, my life has taken a dramatic and fantastic turn since I signed off  in April. I have a new portfolio at work, which is exciting. I've taken the plunge and have re-married. Extremely exciting. I have moved homes. Exhausting but very exciting. All of these are life altering events, to be sure. But in the midst of it all, my dirty, secret passion has been rekindled....I've fallen deeply, madly in love with the Food Channel.

It began quite innocently. When new hubby and I renovated the house, we opened up an existing kitchen wall so that the kitchen and family room would essentially become a 'great' room. By doing this, we felt we could entertain guests better. The open concept ensured that conversations could carry on and flow between rooms. Continuing with the idea of the two rooms becoming one, we placed the TV in the family room over the fireplace so that we could easily watch our shows from the kitchen if desired.

Now as you may already know from older postings, other than Seinfeld reruns, I'm not much of a TV watcher, so I paid no never mind as to where the TV would hang, or which angle would be best to gain the ideal view from the kitchen. It was virtually meaningless to me...until that fateful day. That day back in September when I was cooking multi meals for the then upcoming High Holy Days and decided I wanted to have a little company. I flicked on the TV and instinctively clicked to Channel 52,  the beloved Food Channel. Glory, Glory Halleluyah! I was home.

Immediately, I felt a rush of adrenaline hit me. Here were 'my' chefs, doing their thing so expertly, so exquisitely, and without much mess. I welcomed each of them in, one magnificent half hour after another. Together, we created that first batch of meals. It was completely and utterly satisfying. And even though we were creating different dishes, we were in it as a team. And even better, they did it there, in TV land, where they couldn't bump into me or get their mess mixed in with mine. It was a beautiful thing. It was a turn on. It was the start of a beautiful and meaningful relationship.

I'm not a foodie. I don't profess to be one. I don't even aspire to be one. I'm not the best cook in the world.... I'm not so bad, either, so I've been told. But I've realized lately that I'm very happy being in the kitchen, and I don't think it's simply because of the Food Channel. I'm not sure how regularly I'll be writing this blog, but I seem to think that for this next little while, my thoughts will eminate from what's cooking on my stove or in my oven.

So pull up a chair. I welcome you into my kitchen, my sanctum sanctorum, my place of frenzy, my place of peace. Make yourself at home.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the new house! It's great to see you back posting again :)

    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to be back! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete