Friday, December 16, 2011

Making Shabbat last--Sunday breakfast

When the kids were young, Sunday morning wasn't a quiet time. It was about loads and loads of laundry. It was about shlepping the kids to dance. It was about grocery shopping. It was about getting lesson plans or report cards done. I remember those days well. They're gone now, which is good, because I don't think I could do it anymore.

These days, Sunday morning is a time to ease in to the work week. It's a time to do the crossword puzzle and catch up on cooking or baking. Yes, Sunday morning remains a time to do some grocery shopping. But Sunday morning is a now a time to enjoy something new. Sunday morning means that New Hubby is making breakfast for the two of us.

New Hubby knows his way around the kitchen. He can make eggs scrambled or sunny side up very well indeed, and sometimes, that's just what he does. Other times, pancakes might be on the menu. But one dish speaks to me more than the others. It's his Sunday best French Toast.

I'm not going to divulge his recipe, because I don't know it. It's more or less a standard french toast, but with a twist, not so much in its preparation, but in its presentation. New Hubby has taught me to top this goodness with a dollop of yogurt and some fresh fruit, before drizzling it with maple syrup (actually, he puts on the maple syrup first...and I don't ask questions even though it doesn't make any sense at all). It's quite yummy. But there's more.

One of the reasons that we have french toast on Sunday is so that we can use up the leftover challah from Shabbat. On the surface, it just makes sense. But on this day when we are forced to push ourselves into the new week, this little breakfast is there to make the memory of Shabbat last a bit longer. It's a bit of sweetness to start the new week.

Maybe that's what leftovers are all about....stretching the memories of the meal that was. I'll think about that as I eat my french toast! But first, I better get the challah in the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment