Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Groundhog Day Surprise

I've been giddy for days. I've been like a little girl, running around with fanciful thoughts. It was the anticipation of something that could maybe, possibly happen to me. It was a hope for something I had been wishing for would come true. Honestly, I never thought it could happen, but it did.

The school called a Snow Day.

Gifts are great things. When it comes to birthdays, we know that we'll be getting presents. Sometimes, we send out feelers, so that our loved ones will know exactly what we want. Some of us just go and buy what we want so that we won't get something we might loathe. Everyone hates having to gush at how fabulous the gift is while we loathe it. Yuch. But today was not like that. Today was the surprise of surprises. It was unexpected. And it was perfect.

The news that a big storm was heading this way had been on the news for a week. I ignored it, knowing that my school doesn't close unless the world is coming to an end. It seemed by Monday however, that the people at the weather network seemed to actually think that the apocalypse was coming, so I began to hope in private.

On Monday after work, I plotted my scheme. I was going to hunker down and cook on that day that would be known as the Snow Day. I bought a chicken to make soup. I bought a brisket, for the sole reason that it takes a long time to cook. I was going to bask in the glory of cooking everything that takes too long to make on a regular day. My one problem....what if a snow day isn't declared? No, I thought, I wasn't going to entertain negative thinking.

On Tuesday, I prepared my class. I gave them their work...due for Thursday. I wasn't going to accept that we wouldn't have a day off. But I really didn't believe it would happen.

I didn't touch my ruby slippers three times, but lo and behold, magic! The school called a Snow day before the snow even started.

I tell you, I could have won the lotto, I was just that happy. I was...well, jubilant. Everything that I planned was going to be actualized. But it even got better! The icing on the cake came when I woke up, and noticed that there wasn't as much snow on the ground as predicted. The Groundhog Day storm didn't amount to what they thought. School didn't have to be closed. I know, you think that miracles don't happen very often, but this, my friends, was a true miracle.

And so, today, my heart has been singing while I made my soup and my brisket. This little vacation that came from nowhere has done more for me than some other, longer ones. I think it was because it was so unexpected. It was a little gift that I never thought would materialize. But it did.

So I'm passing a mid-week posting on to you.
Happy Snow Day!

1 comment:

  1. I remember your jubilance. You expressed it to me. I'm sure Jaime thought you were strange :)

    ReplyDelete