Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sdrawkcab

Teachers all over the world are learning how to teach math the way it is done in Japan. For those of us who are used to the 'old' ways, this method might come as a shock. It might even sound backwards to you because, well, it sort of is.

Instead of teaching a particular concept, giving practice questions and then slowly introducing more difficult questions, the process is done more or less in reverse. Students are given a problem and are left to their own devices (usually in groups) to try to solve it. The lessons evolve from how the children solve or attempt to solve the problem. The question is debugged, and strategies, methods and reasoning is examined. The thought is that once someone has tackled the problem, he is applying all of his prior knowledge so that he can build to a next step. It's as if you were to give someone a jigsaw puzzle already in pieces, and ask them to assemble the puzzle without having the picture on the box to guide them. It can be very frustrating. It can lead to struggling. And that's the point of the exercise. 

Does it sound mean? Unfair? Maybe even a bit cruel? Does it go against everything you feel in your gut? Are you feeling angst about it? Well, I did at first, until I began thinking about the whole idea.

More and more, educators are realizing that struggling with a problem is the key to finding an effective, if not creative solution. A challenge, a struggle, tends to be an impetus to achieve. The goal of solving the puzzle, in this case the math problem, becomes a game. It is here that striving for excellence is born. And when one problem is solved, the stakes rise, and more challenging math problems become the new goal.

I see how this concept might work in math, but can or does this apply in our day to day problems in life? Do we necessarily need to struggle with a problem in order to find the most appropriate, creative and best solutions?

Let's start with something simple--the morning Sudoku puzzle. Generally, my morning newspaper tends to have easier puzzles at the beginning of the week. As the week progresses, so does the difficulty of the puzzles. I tend to appreciate the simplicity of Monday puzzle; I'm too busy dealing with the thought of getting to work to have to suffer through a potential snag in a measly Sudoku. I zip through the puzzle, completing it before my toast pops. But here's the rub--even though I wouldn't have wanted to spend the time working on the puzzle, even though I got what I wanted and completed it post haste, I am left with a feeling of disappointment, a lack of fulfillment. Something inside of me, the same me who wanted to get the puzzle over and done with as quickly as possible, feels cheated that the Sudoku author didn't make the puzzle challenging enough. Conversely, on those days where I crack the sweat-inducing puzzle, the one where the author's sadistic attempt at outsmarting the free world  is foiled by my obvious brilliance, I'm on top of the world. The challenge pushes me to do my best, and causes me to come perilously close to being late for work.

It's a sad thought to think that the best things in life, the things that make us happiest, are those which we must work the hardest to achieve. After all, what's so wrong with the things that come easy? I think the answer to that question is: nothing. Nothing's wrong with the things that come easy. But it's precisely because those things come easily, they're not given the importance they deserve.

Challenges propel us forward. Whether it's a Sudoku puzzle, solving a math problem, overcoming an illness, financial burden or relationship gone wrong, facing a challenge and overcoming it is an incredibly satisfying feeling. It's important, however, to never overlook the things that come easy.

Waking up in the morning. That's a big one. The whole day becomes bearable knowing that I'm able to read the obits and not be in them. Hitting the snooze button is another one. Love those extra nine minutes. Hitting it again (decadent!). Realizing that I didn't run out of coffee yesterday. Or milk. What about that first sip of coffee--isn't that the best? A smile from someone I love (any time of the day). The sun on my face (SPF 30). Remembering the meeting I have first thing in the morning. The list goes on and on......

Sure, I love the fulfillment of life's challenges, but even though 'they' tell me not to sweat the small stuff, it's the little things that make my day special.

Long live my Monday morning Sudoku!

No comments:

Post a Comment