Friday, June 15, 2012

Happy Birthday to You!

To tell you the truth, I didn't expect to write anything at all this week. I was ready to take the week off...until just now. I started to think about my daughter's birthday, which is today, and then my mind went to...birthday cake.

Is it just me, or does birthday cake have to taste mediocre to be really good?

I was raised with a mother and grandmother who could bake the best of the best. We had 3 desserts every night at dinner (I swear, I'm telling the truth here...dessert was always and still is quite revered in my household). There was never a bad dessert that passed my lips. They were always homemade. Except for birthday cakes. We kids deemed that they HAD to be bought, because to us, bought cakes were decadent.

I have many fond memories peering through the window of the bakery at Dominion Store (do any exist anymore, anywhere in Canada?) as the brilliant ladies decorated birthday cakes. They glopped white icing on sheet cakes, added piping and coloured flowers faster than I could ever imagine. These were works of art! There was no such thing as Cake Boss back then. It was white or chocolate glop on a cake, with maybe a plastic something stuck on top. THAT was a birthday cake. And to me, it still is.

So, I didn't make my little girl a birthday cake today. She only gets the best from me...the best of the bought...glop and all!

Happy Birthday to you, my baby girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment