Thursday, May 17, 2012

I need a ...something

The other night, I had made a simple dinner...gazpacho, smoked lake trout, fresh ciabatta buns and a platter of cheeses. One would think that after that, I would have been sated....but I wasn't. I wanted...a something. But what?

I went to my goodies cupboard, flung open the doors and stared at the shelves hoping that something would pop out at me, like magic. What was it that I could possibly want? Some dried fruit maybe? No...that wasn't it. A cookie? Nyaaa, not really. Some chocolate? Okay, why not? I took a piece of a chocolate bar with almonds--dark chocolate and nuts, two healthy alternatives in one treat! It was yummy, but no, I said to myself, licking my lips, that wasn't it, either.

Maybe the 'it' wasn't in the cupboard, I wondered. Maybe 'it' was in the fridge. Let's just say you can read the above paragraph and apply it to the refrigerator, except that there was no chocolate in there.

Sadly, there wasn't anything in the freezer that would help me with this problem. In the end, I made a cup of tea, ate an apple, turned on some country or another's Idol, cracked open a few pistachios (I don't know why anyone would eat pistachios already shelled...the action of opening those little guys releases a heck of a lot of tension) and eventually forgot about my plight, kinda sorta.

I started wondering, is there a particular element that is needed to make a treat the perfect something? Is it better if it's crunchy? Chewy? Cold? Hot? Smooth in texture? Dense (thinking cheese cake here)?What about salty, or does the word chocolate (or caramel, or a combination...) just do the trick?

One of the reasons my cookie jar is devoid of cookies at the moment is because my daughter has informed me that although my Ginger Snaps are yummy, they, so she says, are winter cookies. I must come up with a spring/summer one (suggestions anyone?). Perhaps her 'something' must be seasonal.

I'm not so sure of what elements might make up the perfect snack that could satisfy everyone. I suppose that's why the snack aisle at the grocery store is so enormous.

All I do know is that I'm in the mood for something.......

No comments:

Post a Comment