Friday, April 27, 2012

To Market, to Market, to buy a....necklace?

Hamilton Farmer's Market
When I was a little girl growing up in the bustling (sometimes I just crack myself up) metropolis of Hamilton, Ontario, one of my favourite treats would be to go downtown on a Saturday afternoon with my mother to shop at the Hamilton Farmer's Market.

'The Market' as we natives call it (it still thrives to this day), was a magical place. It was always packed with people and filled, aisle after aisle with the vibrant colours and the fantastic aroma of fresh food and flowers. On market day, farmers would gather from all over the Greater Hamilton Area selling their produce, after already having spent hours in the pre-dawn morning harvesting the goodies so that little girls like me could gawk and marvel at Mother Nature's creations.

I viewed our weekly trips as an adventure. Mini me would pad up and down the market rows, navigating through the jungle of belly buttons in my line of sight. I would valiantly try to keep up with my mother whilst attempting to espy some plum plums to purchase. My mother on the other hand, took our trip to the Market as a sort of safari. She was the bwana on a hunt for the perfect pepper (to pickle, of course). She had to get her 'pick' of the good stuff before it was gone. Mom elevated the purchase of everything from cucumbers to corn on the cob to an art form.

As I quickly became a repeat visitor, I realized that my mother had certain vendors that she frequented. I knew them simply as, 'her people'. They, as I would be regularly informed, had 'the best' of whatever it was she was looking for. There was the String Bean man, the Corn lady, the Raspberry lady and the Potato man. Each visit to the stall would include the explanation as to why that particular farmer had the best 'whatever'. I have to confess, this has always puzzled me. If my mother's 'man' or 'lady' had the best, 'whatevers', why did the other farmers need to be there? Why did they even bother showing up? After all, why would anyone want to buy something from the not-best person? These questions have plagued me for my entire life.

St. Lawrence Market
What I do know is that all of my trips to the Market as a young girl have endeared me to market shopping. No matter where I travel, I try to find a market, be it the Rialto Market in Venice, or the Rue Mouffetard Market in Paris (my daughter and I sang the score of Beauty and the Beast as we strolled that one!), Machane Yehudah in Jerusalem, or right here at home in good 'ol Toronto at St. Lawrence Market. Although I am not a 'regular' at the St. Lawrence Market, it seems that my mother has truly influenced me.  I have my Cheesemonger, my baker and  my fishmonger (I love all those 'monger' words). But now I have a new question...when did markets get so hoity toity?

Halifax Seaport Farmers Market
The Halifax Seaport Farmers Market, in Halifax, Nova Scotia, is tons of fun to visit. Along with the usual vegetables and fruits, there are fresh baked goods and even soy products to purchase. But who'da thunk you could also buy wine, cheese, aprons, art, jewellery (I bought a really nice necklace there) and even leather goods! This is one upscale market...which for some reason, seems to me to be....not quite right.

Don't get me wrong. Even though I love the classy olive oils, gourmet cheeses and the overall eye candy of the 'upscale', a.k.a. touristy markets, it remains difficult for me to wrap my head around boutiquing in something billed as a Farmers market. I realize of course, that in centuries gone by, the market was the place to buy any and all of one's needs from the most basic staples to high end goods. People gathered to shmooze as well as to shop. For me, however, the appeal of the simple calls. I continue to be most attracted to the local markets, including those stands at the edge of farm roads. I find them romantic in their simplicity.

Maybe my love of the local farmers market is just the little girl inside of me talking...or is it? While I don't proclaim to be a 'locavore', I know instinctively that local produce is truly fresher, tastier and better for you. So here's my suggestion: when you have a moment, find your nearest farmers market and get to know, support and promote your own favourite venders from Apple lady to Zucchini guy. And when you're done, take yourself to one of the trendy upscale markets, find the gourmet chocolate booth and buy yourself a treat! Long live the market....it's my kind of shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment