Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hot Diggity Hamentash!

One of my great pleasures this year in my new capacity at work is the activity I've dubbed, 'Make-it-and-bake-it-Tuesdays'. Although we serve breakfast every day, each Tuesday morning my charges and I prepare a taste treat that will be baked during the day on Tuesday for breakfast the following day. As the year has progressed, the children and I (ages 2 1/2 to 11) have honed the menu according to their likes and dislikes.

After breakfast one day a couple of weeks ago, I had an idea and called my group together for a 'meeting'. I explained to them that I had been thinking about what to make for breakfast on the Tuesday before Purim. I had this brain wave of creating a 'breakfast' hamentash as a Purim treat and wanted their opinion as to what to use as a filling. At first, the children looked at me as if I were even more daft than they knew me to be, but when they realized that I was serious, they were eager to brainstorm.                      

I began with what I thought was a good idea. I explained that I envisioned taking the granola bars that have been a crowd pleaser all year and crushing them up, using them as the Hamentash filling. My concept was met with a resounding, "That sounds gross", which quite astounded me. In the end, I didn't listen to them and made them with the kids anyway. They were a big hit, but at the time I weakened a bit and countered with, "Alright then. Let's hear your suggestions".

A boy in Grade 2 became quite passionate about his idea that I fill the hamentashen with broccoli, which began as something amusing, but got us thinking in a different direction. A few moments later from somewhere in the crowd, someone called out, "Let's use hot dogs". This suggestion met with great enthusiasm by all. I started to wonder...a savory hamentash? It had never occurred to me. I supposed it would be possible....but wouldn't it be blasphemous? On the other hand I speculated, perhaps it's simply.... innovative! I told my gang that I would give it some thought and get back to them.

That evening, I sat down at the computer, looking up recipes that used hot dogs (I would be using veggie hot dogs as our school kitchen is dairy). I found a couple of recipes for sandwich fillings, the thought of which made me gag, but when I got my mind's eye away from the thought of something that would resemble the consistency and colour of dog food or Spam, I began to envision the bigger picture, and the idea for the Hot Dog Hamentashen started to gel.

My first decision was an easy one..I would use puff pastry as the dough. Off I went to the supermarket to buy the dough and the hot dogs. My children were home for Reading Week, so they would be the guinea pigs for this insane concoction.

I began my filling by making some mashed potatoes. Because this was meant for breakfast and is intended for young children, I made things as simple as possible. I flavoured the potato water with some Osem chicken soup, and then used some of the water to facilitate the mash, leaving out anything else adults might like (onions, especially). When the mash cooled, I added the cut up veggie dogs and added a couple of spoonfuls of relish to give it a bit of sweetness. I then cut the puff pastry into circles, stuffed them with the filling and put them in the oven at 425 for 15 minutes.

Lo and behold, the hamentashen kept their shape during the baking. I served them with a dab of ketchup and mustard, and my family gave them two thumbs up. But what would the kids at school think?

This morning, as the hamentashen were placed in front of them, mustard and ketchup on the side, they were initially met with the same skepticism that I had. But it didn't last. One brave child bit in. The eyes widened with surprise, and then came the declaration, "They're GOOOOD!!!!" It didn't take long for the rest of them to disappear.

Savory hamentashen? Not so unsavoury after all.
Purim Sameach to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment