Sunday, December 26, 2010

If Harvard doesn't look at elemenatary report cards, Why am I working so hard?

I hate writing report cards. It's a long, tedious process. It's something that I avoid doing until I can avoid it no longer. This go round, that means I'm beginning them as soon as I finish writing this posting. And folding the laundry. And doing some shopping.

I think that writing report cards is perceived  by most as a pretty easy task. My father (not a teacher) used to explain the process; teachers stand at the top of a flight of stairs and toss test papers down. The ones that land near the top garner those fortunate children A's and then so forth down the steps. Although he was attempting humour, I think that many people don't realize how arduous the task truly is.

To get reports done right, a teacher has to amass tons of data so that an honest assessment can be made and a mark can be assigned. The marks then have to be supported with comments that accurately reflect them. The comments themselves must be positive, yet honest, and not full of edu-babble. Finally, marks and comments as to where a child stands at that moment do not suffice. That is not the sole purpose of a report card. A 'next steps' comment needs to be in place to give the child and parents a direction for progress. The entire process is a pain in the neck (sometimes literally), because in the end, everyone knows that universities don't look at elementary school marks when considering an applicant. So, if elementary report cards aren't essential for any major life choice or decisions, other than needing an official document to satisfy government regulations, why do we write them? Are they even necessary, and if so, why?

Oh, I can hear all of you shouting answers at me as I type. Report cards tell the parent how the child is doing. Report cards tell the child how he or she is doing. Report cards are there so that the parents of the brilliant students can 'kvell'. Reports cards are benchmarks for a child's academic growth. Report cards are there so that a generation later when the child is a parent, he can pull them out to prove that he was a better student than his son is, in order to spur some sense into the kid... or on the flipside, prove to his kid that despite his marks, the parent went on to become the CEO of a company, and therefore, so can the child. I hear all of your answers, and you're right, but I'll offer one more.

Over the years, I've realized that the report card acts as an assessment for the teacher, to see how well she knows her students.

In preparation for report card writing, I need to have a snapshot of the child in my mind before I begin. Sure, filling in the marks is an easy task. But when I sit down to write the comments, the child must be mentally beside me. I visualize her at her desk. I watch her work. I see her in the playground. I think about how she participates, or if she participates, and what type of answers she gives. In my mind's eye, I look at her eyes, and see what subjects make them sparkle. Twice a year I go through this process. It takes hours and hours. But by the end of it, I feel that I have a good idea of who those boys and girls are, inside and out. I see where they've progressed, and know what my next steps are. The feeling when report card writing is completed is a combination of relief, exhaustion and elation.

Report cards force me to focus on each child as an individual, and not see them merely as one of a group. It's something that as a parent I love to do as well. I relish my one-on-one time with each of my children. When they were younger, it might have meant a game of Boggle, or a walk to the grocery store. Now it might mean a chat over coffee or a Skype conversation between cities. These moments afford me the opportunity to spend time alone with them, to watch them grow and to get to know them better. I listen to their stories and try to keep up with what they're doing. And while they speak, I look into their eyes to see what topics make them sparkle.  It's a very selfish act.

While I don't recommend writing report cards to anyone, I do advocate spending one-on-one time with the people you love. Whether it's a Skype conversation, sharing a cuppa, a snuggling time, a walk in the neighbourhood, or sharing a meal or a long drive, reconnecting on a regular basis reminds us of how important these important relationships are.

Well, I've procrastinated long enough. I must get down to work. And when I'm done, I think I'll celebrate by calling my kids and share a cuppa with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment